Delegation: The team of people nominated by Participants to represent them in GBIF decision making, under the leadership of the Head of Delegation. Defined in the Rules of Procedure for the Governing Board of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility
Participant Node: a team designated by a Participant to coordinate a network of people and institutions that produce, manage and use biodiversity data, collectively building an infrastructure for delivering biodiversity information. They are supported by organizational arrangements and informatics solutions, working to improve the availability and usefulness of biodiversity data for research, policy and decision-making.
Publisher: organizations that provide biodiversity data organized into formats and standards recognized by GBIF’s data harvesting facilities, and made available via a stable web-based platform. Become a publisher.
Network: a community of installations, publishers, and nodes working together on a specific topic or domain to facilitate and increase sharing of relevant biodiversity data.
Collections Management System (CMS): is software that provides for the documentation of a collection. They provide access to information about an institution’s collections and objects to academic researchers, institutional volunteers, and the public, increasingly through online methods. A CMS may also provide the ability to publish data.
Did we miss something? This page is an initial attempt to identify the community involved. If you notice something that needs to be added please add a ticket to Github for us so we can update the page.
GBIF US Community Participants
- Katharina Dittmar, Head of delegation, National Science Foundation
- Steve Formel, Delegate, Node manager, U.S. Geological Survey
- Abby Benson, Delegate, U.S. Geological Survey, National Nature Assessment
- Thomas Orrell, Delegate, Smithsonian Institution
- Martin Kalfatovic, Delegate, Smithsonian Institution Libraries and Archives
- Sharon Grant, Delegate, Field Museum of Natural History
- Mike Frame, Delegate, U.S. Geological Survey
- David Jennings, Delegate, iDigBio
- Biodiversity Heritage Library
- Discover Life
- Encyclopedia of Life
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Natural Science Collections Alliance
- Symbiota Support Hub
The United States has over 330 publishers across many sectors.
Map of US Publishers (last updated November 15, 2023)
Accepting additional publishers
For more information contact these installations directly
- American Museum of Natural History
- Berkeley Natural History Museums
- California Academy of Sciences
- Cincinnati Museum Center
- Department of Environmental Conservation, University of Massachusetts - Amherst
- Field Museum of Natural History
- Florida Museum of Natural History
- Harvard University Herbaria
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- Museum of Biological Diversity, The Ohio State University
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University
- Museum of Natural and Cultural History - University of Oregon
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution
- Oregon State University
- Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Species File Group
- The Genomic Observatories Metadatabase (GeOMe)
- The New York Botanical Garden
- United States Geological Survey
- University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
- University of Connecticut
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Institute
- University of Michigan College of Literature, Science & Arts
- University of Rhode Island - Biological Sciences
- University of Texas at Austin, Biodiversity Collections
- USF Water Institute
- Vermont Center for Ecostudies
- Yale University Peabody Museum
More information on how to make your data available.